The UC Architects are pleased to announce The UC Architects Windows Phone App. Using this App, you can follow us when you’re mobile. The App contains information about The UC Architects such as latest tweets, who are the members, which episodes are available and the latest news about The UC Architects. And, of course, you can download the podcast episodes for your listening enjoyment.
When the App has launched you will see the “Home” page being displayed:
The Home screen contains the last news article and the latest episode released. From this page, you can directly jump to more details about the latest episode. We will have a look at the detail page later.
The next screen in the app is the “news” screen where we will regularly post news about The UC Architects as extend of our Facebook, Linkedin Group and Twitter account. Now to the screen which we are the most proud of our recorded Podcasts. At the moment of making the screenshot episode 20 was the latest episode which was available. As soon as the next episode you will see it appear here.
You can click on each episode to go to the detail screen.
This screen contain the details about the specific episode. As you can see there are three buttons available:
- play, which plays the current episode
- pause, to pause listening
- download, which gives you the ability to download the episode
Some remarks must be made about this options:
- by default only downloaded episodes can be played
- downloading an episode can only be done when connected via WiFi and attached to an external power source
- downloaded content is only available in The UC Architects Windows Phone App and not from outside
- episodes will stay on the phone unless:
- you clean them up by using the “settings” option in the App
- by removing the App which is one thing you hopefully won’t do
You can change this options if you like however. But there are some things you will need to keep in mind:
- using the streaming option will cause a lot of data traffic so may lead to high costs if connected via a mobile network
- downloading when working on battery will have an impact on the battery life
All options can be changed via the settings menu which is available in the Appbar at the bottom of the screen. We will have a look at this later in the blog.
The twitter part of the app contains the last tweets from The UC Architects twitter account. You can only read the tweets as we don’t have a built-in twitter client in the app. And last but not least, the About screen contains info about the contributors of The UC Architects.
By selecting a member you will go to the detail screen which contains more info about the specific member.
In this release it is only possible to view the details and not select any twitter or website address, however this may change in the future.
We already talked about the appbar which is available in the app so let’s have a look at it briefly.
The appbar is only available on the “main” screen of the app and contains a few options:
- refresh: refreshes the downloaded data
- settings: navigates to the settings screen
- view active downloads: navigates to a screen which contains all active downloads
- info: will show some app information such as the version number
Let’s look at the settings screen in more detail.
It contains two subpages the first one is the download screen which let’s you configure the download settings from the app. Please keep the remarks in mind earlier in this blog. The file page contains a list of all downloaded episodes and has the option to delete either a specific episode or all episodes.
The active downloads screen contains all downloads which are in progress or are queued for downloading. If you want to abort the download just press the cancel button.
So this was a short description of how our own Windows Phone App looks like. It is available for both Windows Phone 7.x and 8.x and can be downloaded via the Windows Phone App Store or by using the link below: